FOREST SOIL AND LAND RECLAMATION DIVISION
The Forest Soil & Land Reclamation Division was incepted as Soil Section under Silviculture in 1938. It was located in the erstwhile Northern Forest Rangers College building. In the year 1972, the Soil Section was upgraded to Forest Soils Branch and shifted to the new building, where it is now located. The branch was devoted to the research on soil physical and chemical investigations. When a central sector scheme (C-3) Forest Soil cum Vegetation Survey (FSVS) was implemented in 1975, Soil Section started functioning in two independent groups (Soil Section and FSVS) by the existing staff and facilities of the time. The FSVS Scheme was executed independently under a Coordinator that continued till 1984. In 1999, Forest Ecology Brach was merged in Soil Section and came as Forest Ecology and Conservation Division. However, the Forest Ecology Branch was separated in year 1990 as Ecology and Environment Division and this division was organized as Forest Soil & Land Reclamation Division.